Under general supervision, is responsible to program, operate and maintain various types of fabrication machinery utilized for the cutting, drilling, forming or sheering of various steel types. Duties my also include material handling and dressing of steel parts.
- Plan machining needs by reviewing engineered drawings, material specifications, work orders, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters.
- Read, comprehend and apply technical information contained in engineered drawings, specifications, or manuals.
- Operate various types of air, electric and hydraulic powered machines including press brake, plasma cutter, sheer, drill press, band saw, and iron worker.
- Cut, drill, form, punch, and saw steel into parts for assembly.
- Program computerized machine controls to regulate machining factors such as, cut speed, feed or flow, and bend angles in accordance with material type and thickness.
- Verify machine settings conform to fabrication requirements by measuring positions, first-run parts, and sample work pieces.
- Operate tools and machinery with caution to prevent damage or injury to self or others.
- Organize the sequence of fabrication operations by applying documented information and knowledge of the physical properties of steel.
- Clean and maintain tools and machinery as necessary.
- Maintain a safe, clean and orderly work area.
- Comply with methods, policies, procedures, and protocols established by company management and directives communicated by supervision.
- Perform work in an organized and productive manner to achieve target completion dates.
- Work in a safe manner following company safety procedures which includes wearing personal protective equipment, completing routine maintenance tasks, and communicating potential hazards to co-workers and supervision.
- Physical exertion necessitating full and unrestricted use of all limbs, major muscle groups and body movements.
- Ability to lift parts or material that weighs up to 50 pounds.
- Sporadic outside work will expose the employee to adverse weather conditions which may require the ability to tolerate extremes in temperature and weather conditions.
- Shop environment will expose the employee to dirt, dust, grease, chemicals, sparks and loud noises.
- Working within close proximity of equipment, power tools and machinery will require normal vision and hearing accuracy or any deficiency correctable to within normal ranges.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Sound knowledge of steel fabrication tools and machinery including their design, operation, and maintenance requirements ~ knowledge of computer use and CNC software operation relevant to machine programming ~ ability to comprehend and apply basic mathematics ~ ability to use various measuring devices i.e., tape measure, caliper, micrometer, etc. ~ ability to interpret engineered drawings and geometric tolerances and how they relate to part fabrication ~ ability to comprehend and apply verbal and written instructions ~ ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates ~ ability to prioritize, schedule and complete tasks efficiently with minimum supervision. Employee may be required to perform the duties of a different classification.
MINIMUM EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- One (1) year of experience operating steel fabrication machinery required.
- Ability to use computers and CNC machine programming software.
- Possess personal hand, air and power tools.
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
- Forklift operation experience preferred.