Under general supervision, is responsible for customer service as it relates to the sale and procurement of part orders and to actively assist in the daily management of parts inventory including data entry into computer-controlled processing software.
ILLUSTRATED DUTIES (additional duties may be required)
- Greet and assist customers with the selection of parts in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner.
- Address phone calls related to price quoting, status updates or shipments, and notification of orders received.
- Accurately procure stock parts to fill orders.
- Regularly review inventory of part stock and notify supervision about out-of-stock items.
- Enter part related data into company software programs.
- Notify supervisors when part orders arrive for internal use.
- Check-in received merchandise and verify ordered parts match packing list.
- Assist with the physical placement of depleted items into bins and/or on shelves.
- Assist company employees with the procurement of parts for internal use.
- Ensure all parts are properly tagged for internal or customer distribution.
- Accurately place items back into stock that have been returned by an employee or customer.
- Verify will-call or back-ordered items weekly and return to vendors or place in-stock items not obtained or required by the customer.
- Receive payments from customers or obtain credit authorization.
- Ensure all invoicing documents are properly signed and received by customers.
- Ensure all returned, defective or warranty parts are properly coded and inventoried, so the company receives credit from vendors, manufacturers, or suppliers.
- Issue credit for parts returned, ensuring the original invoice, or its number, is available for data verification.
- Maintain counter area, associated computer equipment, and general parts department area, in a clean, neat, and orderly manner.
- Operate cargo carrier, hand truck, walk-behind forklift, and powered forklifts.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, suppliers, and vendors.
- Work in a safe manner following company safety requirements which includes wearing personal protective equipment, completing maintenance requests, and communicating potential hazards to co-workers and supervision.
- Comply with the methods, policies, procedures, and protocols established by Company management and directives communicated by supervision.
- Physical exertion necessitating full and unrestricted use of all limbs, major muscle groups and body movements.
- Ability to lift parts or material that weighs up to 50 pounds.
- Sporadic outside work will expose the employee to adverse weather conditions which may require the ability to tolerate extremes in temperature and weather conditions.
- Shop environment will expose the employee to dirt, dust, grease, chemicals, sparks, and loud noises.
- Frequent interruptions due to greeting customers and answering phones.
- Normal vision and hearing accuracy required or have any deficiency correctable to within normal ranges due to the requirement to operate phones and office equipment.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of the parts, hardware, or supplies utilized for steel fabrication and motorized vehicle mechanics ~ ability to enter relevant information into computer processing databases ~ ability to communicate with difficult customers ~ ability to multitask and make sound decisions ~ ability to organize ~ possess sound interpersonal and communication skills ~ ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions ~ ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates ~ ability to prioritize, schedule and complete projects efficiently. Employee may be required to perform the duties of a different classification.
MINIMUM EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Knowledge of components utilized in a mechanical and manufacturing environment.
- One (1) year of previous parts counterperson experience.
- Knowledge of computer and software use including Windows, Explorer, Outlook, Office, and Access.
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
- Forklift operation experience preferred.